Thursday, January 14, 2016

Liberals, Explain Yourselves

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing.
                 
                          - Edmund Burke

Alison at Creekside has an excellent post that every Liberal and New Dem needs to mull over.

She has digested 15-votes in the United Nations General Assembly since the Trudeau government came to power in which Canada has sided with Israel against the Palestinians. 15 consecutive votes in which Canada, joined by the US, Israel, sometimes Australia, and America's satellites - the Marshall Islands, Nuru, Palau - have voted against the rest of the world.

It's a great bit of work. Follow the link. See what Canada stands for and what it stands against. As Alison notes, all three parties - yours included - are on the same page on this one.

Alison's fine summary made me recall how I cringed to watch Dion attempt to explain away Canada's $15-billion sale of armoured war wagons to Saudi Arabia on CBC. I winced when he said 'oh well, every country is selling arms to the Saudis (untrue)' adding that if Canada didn't supply these fighting vehicles to this state sponsor of terrorism then some other country would. Before he was done, Dion added that Canada had received Saudi assurances they wouldn't use these weapons against their own people. I suppose the Saudis give the same assurances to the Americans when the US ships fresh supplies of cluster bombs knowing the Saudis will drop them on Yemeni civilians.



Stomach churning, disgusting. Their Canada isn't my Canada. Never will be.


6 comments:

Hugh said...

They need to do some 'splainin on the TPP as well:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trans-pacific-trade-deal-signing-freeland-1.3402248

Interesting how the US presidential contenders are opposed to the TPP.

Steve said...

I have to say realpolitick dicates this sale goes forward, But it proves we are ll just gansters like SAMCROW.

The Mound of Sound said...


@ Hugh - they're hedging their bets at the moment although it could just be a rich application of weasel words. Either way I've lost much of my hopeful optimism that, when it came to the hard decisions, Trudeau would have the spine to do what was right.

The Mound of Sound said...

@ Steve. I fear you're right, we are all just gangsters now.

Toby said...

How much is Trudeau and how much is Dion or other Cabinet members? Trudeau is not a dictator like Harper was. Distributed power means a lack of uniformity.

Yes, I'm also disappointed. I'd like a more progressive itinerary, closer to Liz May's.

BTW, my biggest disappointment with the election is that the troglodyte in my riding got re-elected. It means that there is no point whatsoever in contacting him on any subject; I'm simply not represented.

The Mound of Sound said...


I don't know, Toby, but this sort of thing should be a prime minister's to call. If this is somehow Dion's doing, Trudeau should quietly ask for his resignation. Frankly if you saw how Dion groveled through this interview I'm surprised he's not the one tendering his resignation.

As for your MP, I have a Dipper now after three bouts of a braindead ReforaTory creationist bone-adjuster. You have my sincere sympathy.