Sunday, April 28, 2013

That Decision Just Got a Lot Easier

Looks like I'll be voting NDP in the upcoming British Columbia elections.  I had some qualms about backing the NDP or my party of choice, the Greens, especially when it appeared the NDP already have this election in the bag. 

Problem solved.  The Greens aren't fielding a candidate in my riding.   They're contesting 58 of the 85 ridings and mine isn't one of them.  I'm hoping the Greens have stood down to avoid undermining the NDP's chances of ousting the Liberals in a riding that The Tyee has concluded is "too close  to call."

Oh well the Liberals and Christy Clark have to go but I'm not wildly enthusiastic about the New Dems.   Adrian Dix seems like a decent enough fellow but experience shows that doesn't cut much ice within the rough and tumble internal politics of the B.C. NDP.  Mike Harcourt was a thoroughly decent fellow and a good premier in his turn.   Yet he got toppled, stabbed in the back, by British Columbia's last NDP premier, another Clark, Glenn Clark.   And it was Glenn Clark who almost single-handedly delivered Gordon Campbell's conservative Liberals a massive sweep to power.

I've listened to what Adrian Dix has had to say on the campaign trail and I think he's ready to govern my province.  I'm still left in doubt about whether he's strong enough to govern his party.

No comments: