Friday, August 26, 2011

BC HST Dead as a Doornail

The people of British Columbia have spoken.   The Harmonized Sales Tax initiative sprung on them in a totally underhanded manner by Stephen Harper's new ambassador to Britain has gone down in flames on a public referendum vote.   It was defeated on a 55-45 split.

Disgraced premier Campbell's stand-in, Christie Clark, claims to have a Plan B option in the wings to deal with the HST rejection but she's yet to disclose it.   Given that it could cement her fate at the polls in the next election she'll have to tread very carefully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe it's dead just yet... I wouldn't be surprised for them to argue that the vote didn't meet the requirements or something, the simply majority was a promise of cambpells was it not? They've also talked about not putting back the same exemptions on the pst. I hope the hst is dead, and the bc "liberal" party with it. I won't believe it till I see it though.